With a Voice over IP system, we can usually link call quality to the internet connection at your workplace. The first step is checking your internet connection and internet speed.
Ways to detect if you have poor internet speeds:
- Is your internet running slowly? Run a speed test at https://fast.com/.
- Click "Show More Info" to see your Latency and Upload Speed.
- Should be close to the advertised speed of your service package.
If it's possible, plug the computer you are using to run the test directly into your network through an ethernet drop. A direct internet connection yields the most accurate test results; wifi is always slower.
Try a ping test to measure latency for packet loss. The terminal will populate with ICMP requests. If you're seeing many Request Timeouts, you need to contact your internet provider to see if there are known issues in your area.
- Open terminal (Press Command + Space to open Spotlight).
- Type “terminal” and press Enter (Return).
- Type in “ping 18.104.22.168” and press Enter (Return).
- Type "cmd" into your search bar or text box, depending on which version of Windows you have.
- Select the Command Prompt, Desktop apps.
- A black box with a flashing cursor will open; this is the Command Prompt. Type “ping” and then hit the Space bar on your keyboard.
- Type in the address you’d like to ping, and then hit the Enter key on your keyboard.